The Carmarthenshire Railway began operating as a horse-drawn railway linking Alexander Raby's iron furnace in the village of Cwmddyche (later called Furnace) to the shipping place on the coast. It was later incorporated into the Carmarthenshire Railway when an Act of Parliament was passed in June 1802, allowing its construction.
The Railway linked Raby's furnace and various collieries to import mineral sources in the Great Mountain area, Cross Hands. Interestingly, an 1801 plan of the railway shows it passing very close to the "Meeting House, Ty Newydd" (Adulem Chapel). The Railway was the earliest operating public railway in Great Britain, consisted of horse drawn wagons running on cast iron tram-plates. The Railroad was later replaced by the Llanelly & Mynydd Mawr Railway, which ceased operating on the closure of the Cynheidre Colliery. It is now marked by a cycle-pathway.
Memorial location: Cefeneith Road, Gorslas. Lat: 51.804079 Long: -4.076530