Lloyd Street Chapel was built in the gothic style in 1887. It was sited opposite the old Catholic Church of St Mary’s that once stood there. In 1905 when the spiritual fires of the Revival burned bright in Llanelli, Lloyd Street Chapel played a prominent part and many meetings were held there.
1907 Saw the choirmaster of Lloyd Street Chapel, Mr John Thomas take the Llanelli choir which was composed of 230 men and women to Windsor Castle for a Royal Command Performance before King Edward VIII and the German Kaiser. This proved to be a truly historic performance as it was to be the first occasion that a mixed choir was to perform at Windsor. The same year the Choir was however, narrowly defeated at the National Eisteddfod by the Swansea Choir. In 1908 Mr John Thomas conducted The “Royal Choir” again when they won the coveted “blue ribbon” at that year’s National Eisteddfod.
On the 17th of November 1931, the Rev., J. Camwy Evans of Caernarfon was appointed as minister. He was to serve in this roll until 1948 and was succeeded in January 1949 by the Rev., W. Esger James of Rhydybont, Llanybydder, who was to be the last full time minister at the chapel. When he retired as Lloyd Street’s minister, the congregation had declined to a number the where a full time minister was unaffordable, and a succession of lay preachers were to serve the congregation’s needs until the chapel was forced to close in 1991.
One of the many events in which the congregation of Lloyd Street participated was the annual “Band of Hope” march. Each summer adults and children, together with their minister and deacons from Lloyd Street, would join with the other Chapels in Llanelli to march through the town, with unfurled banners, proclaiming the evils of the demon drink before holding a short service, and returning to their vestries where a tea party would be held. This annual parade continued into the 1960’s before quietly passing into history.
Another annual event was the Nativity Play performed by the Sunday School Children in the vestry of the Chapel, which was always well attended.
The site of the Chapel is now the office of the Probation Service, and has recently been commemorated by a blue plaque sponsored by Mr Huw Edwards the newsreader and broadcaster, who learned to play the organ in Lloyd Street.