On 4th November, one week before the official commemoration of the one hundredth anniversary of the 1918 Armistice which ended the First World War, LCH installed an interpretive panel on Maescanner Road, Dafen.

More than one hundred people attended a very moving memorial service in the parish church of St. Michael and All Angels, conducted by the Revd. Sulin Milne and the Revd. Eldon Phillips. Hymns and songs were sung by the church choir and members of Prince Philip's Hospital choir, Hospital Notes. Representatives of the services paraded their colours into the church, and the Last Post was played.

A piper then led the scarlet-coated band of the Llanelli Corps of Drums the few hundred yards down Maescanner Road resplendent with bright red poppies on every available railing and lamppost to the memorial garden. Smartly uniformed cadets from all branches of the services marched behind, followed by a large crowd of friends, relatives and Dafen residents.

The Revd. Eldon Phillips, George Parker (the generous sponsor) and Cllr. Robert Evans who did much of the organising, spoke briefly about the young men whose lives and deaths were being commemorated.

The panel stands on a triangular green alongside a substantial memorial stone, two wrought iron benches and some pretty planting which all together make this an attractive garden garden for quiet rest and contemplation.

We understand that four of the soldiers named had once lived in the road within sight of the panel which now commemorates their deaths.

Click here for Dafen Interpretive Panel

Lat: 51.689452
Lon: -4.128350

LCH0300